Landolia, a World of Photos
Latest Photos of the World in RSS feed
Sign In

Croatia

Pula, Croatia: the "Rendez-Vous" in Adriatic

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, December 02, 2007 at 12:15:16 :: Croatia

Pula (Latin Colonia Pietas Iulia Pola; Italian Pola (the city has an official Croatian-Italian bilingualism); Istriot Pula, German Polei, Slovenian Pulj) is the largest city in Istria, situated at the southern tip of the peninsula, with a population of 62,080 (2006).

Developed out of a hill-fort (18th to 10th c. BC); the name Pola is of Illyrian origin. The end of the 1st century BC marked the beginning of the Roman colonization; around 43 BC. Pula attained the status of a Roman colony. In the early Middle Ages it was included in the Ravenna exarchate, and from AD 788 it was under the Frankonian rule. After having changed several sovereigns, it fell under the rule of the Aquileian patriarch in 1230, and after 1331 under the protection of Venice all up to the collapse of Venice (1797), when it came under the Austrian rule.

Temple d'Auguste, Pula, in Istrie (Istra), Croatie


Except for a short period of the French rule (1805-1813), Pula was part of Austria, i.e. the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (until 1918). The construction of the large shipyard in 1886 made Pula the major Austrian military port; the economic boom, in particular in the field of trade, occurred at the end of the 19th century. Pula saw the end of the First World War occupied by Italy (1918). According to the Treaty of Rapallo (1920), Pula was ceded to Italy, and after the fall of Italy in 1943, the German troops occupied the town. At the end of the Second World War Pula was in the hands of the Allied Forces; annexed to the parent country, Croatia, in 1947.

Pula's amphitheater

Pula amphitheatre or Pula Arena (Pulska arena) in Pula, Croatia


It seems as though the amphitheater of Pula does not have enough “windows” to frame with its stone arches all the images of the voyage in time. This is the sixth largest Roman amphitheater in the world; certainly the most beautiful by its elegance. Between the mythical tradition and the three thousand years of continuity it is a unique place that gathers so many civilization differences.

Visit Pula, Istria and Croatia now on Landolia!
0 comment :: Add a comment

UNESCO World Heritage

Croatia, Stari Grad Plain

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, October 20, 2013 at 12:26:29

Location Split and Dalmatia Counties, Croatia
Coordinates N43 10 54 E16 38 19
Property 1,377 ha
Date of Inscription 2008

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1240 )

Stari Grad Plain on the Adriatic island of Hvar is a cultural landscape that has remained practically intact since it was first colonized by Ionian Greeks from Paros in the 4th century BC. The original agricultural activity of this fertile plain, mainly centring on grapes and olives, has been maintained since Greek times to the present. The site is also a natural reserve. The landscape features ancient stone walls and trims, or small stone shelters, and bears testimony to the ancient geometrical system of land division used by the ancient Greeks, the chora which has remained virtually intact over 24 centuries.

Photos from Landolia

Stari Grad Plain Foundations of the ancient Greek watch-tower Maslinovik, Stari Grad Plain

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Croatia, The Cathedral of St James in Sibenik

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, October 20, 2013 at 12:18:45

Location Šibenik, County of Šibenik-Knin, Croatia
Coordinates N43 44 10.644 E15 53 25.368
Property 0.10 ha
Date of Inscription 2000

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/963 )

The Cathedral of St James in Šibenik (1431-1535), on the Dalmatian coast, bears witness to the considerable exchanges in the field of monumental arts between Northern Italy, Dalmatia and Tuscany in the 15th and 16th centuries. The three architects who succeeded one another in the construction of the Cathedral - Francesco di Giacomo, Georgius Mathei Dalmaticus and Niccolò di Giovanni Fiorentino - developed a structure built entirely from stone and using unique construction techniques for the vaulting and the dome of the Cathedral. The form and the decorative elements of the Cathedral, such as a remarkable frieze decorated with 71 sculptured faces of men, women, and children, also illustrate the successful fusion of Gothic and Renaissance art.

Photos from Landolia

Cathedral of St. James, Sibenik

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Croatia, Historic City of Trogir

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, October 20, 2013 at 12:10:48

Location Trogir, County of Split-Dalmatia, Croatia
Coordinates N43 30 45 E16 15 6.012
Property 6.40 ha
Date of Inscription 1997

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/810 )

Trogir is a remarkable example of urban continuity. The orthogonal street plan of this island settlement dates back to the Hellenistic period and it was embellished by successive rulers with many fine public and domestic buildings and fortifications. Its beautiful Romanesque churches are complemented by the outstanding Renaissance and Baroque buildings from the Venetian period.

Photos from Landolia

Historic City of Trogir Trogir Cathedral, Historic City of Trogir

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Croatia, Episcopal Complex of the Euphrasian Basilica in the Historic Centre of Porec

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, October 20, 2013 at 12:00:08

Location Poreč, County of Istria, Croatia
Coordinates N45 13 45.012 E13 35 39.984
Property 1.10 ha
Date of Inscription 1997

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/809 )

The group of religious monuments in Porec, where Christianity was established as early as the 4th century, constitutes the most complete surviving complex of its type. The basilica, atrium, baptistery and episcopal palace are outstanding examples of religious architecture, while the basilica itself combines classical and Byzantine elements in an exceptional manner.

Photos from Landolia

Euphrasian Basilica, Historic Centre of Porec

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Croatia, Plitvice Lakes National Park

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, February 20, 2010 at 03:50:58

Location County of Lika-Senj, 10km east of Bihac, Croatia
Coordinates N44 52 40.008 E15 36 51.984
Property 29,482 ha
Date of Inscription 1979

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/98 )

The waters flowing over the limestone and chalk have, over thousands of years, deposited travertine barriers, creating natural dams which in turn have created a series of beautiful lakes, caves and waterfalls. These geological processes continue today. The forests in the park are home to bears, wolves and many rare bird species.

Photos from Landolia

Sleepy Waterfall, Plitvice Lakes National Park Plitvice Lakes National Park

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Croatia, Old City of Dubrovnik

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, June 21, 2009 at 07:04:17

Location County of Dubrovnik-Neretva, Adriatic Coast, Croatia
Coordinates N42 39 2.016 E18 5 29.004
Type Cultural
Property 97 ha
Date of Inscription 1979

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/95 )

The 'Pearl of the Adriatic', situated on the Dalmatian coast, became an important Mediterranean sea power from the 13th century onwards. Although severely damaged by an earthquake in 1667, Dubrovnik managed to preserve its beautiful Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque churches, monasteries, palaces and fountains. Damaged again in the 1990s by armed conflict, it is now the focus of a major restoration programme co-ordinated by UNESCO.

Photos from Landolia

Stradun, Dubrovnik Sponza Palace Franciscan Monastery, Dubrovnik

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Croatia, Historical Complex of Split with the Palace of Diocletian

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, June 19, 2009 at 19:28:02

Location County of Split-Dalmatia, Croatia
Coordinates N43 30 33.984 E16 26 35.988
Type Cultural
Property 21 ha
Date of Inscription 1979

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/97 )

The ruins of Diocletian's Palace, built between the late 3rd and the early 4th centuries A.D., can be found throughout the city. The cathedral was built in the Middle Ages, reusing materials from the ancient mausoleum. Twelfth- and 13th-century Romanesque churches, medieval fortifications, 15th-century Gothic palaces and other palaces in Renaissance and Baroque style make up the rest of the protected area.

Photos from Landolia

Palace of Diocletian Cathedral of St. Duje

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map



On the companion Blog to Landolia, choose your next destination, and prepare your trip. Do you have an interesting travel article? If so Contact us and share it.

Categories

Archives