Landolia, a World of Photos
Latest Photos of the World in RSS feed
Sign In

Germany

Potsdam, Germany

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, February 17, 2008 at 06:27:15 :: Germany

Potsdam [ˈpɔtsdam] is the capital city of the federal state of Brandenburg in Germany. It is situated on the Havel River, southwest of Berlin. It is a part of the Metropolitan area Berlin/Brandenburg.

The Orangery Palace (German: Orangerieschloss) or New Orangery on the Klausberg, built by Friedrich Wilhelm IV, from 1851 to 1864, Potsdam, Brandenburg in Germany


Potsdam is known as the former residence of the Prussian kings until 1918. The city features a series of interconnected lakes and unique cultural landscapes, in particular the parks and palaces of Sanssouci, the largest World Heritage Sites in Germany.

Potsdam, the city of Prussian palaces and gardens, offers not only its historical heritage, a source of pride known well beyond our state - but also a richly diverse selection of modern culture and art.

In the historic city centre the Hans Otto theatre, the Nikolaisaal concert hall, the House of Brandenburg-Prussian History and the Film Museum provide opportunities to enjoy classical as well as modern culture.

Belvedere on the Klausberg (German: Belvedere auf dem Klausberg), built from 1770-1772 under the rule of Friedrich the Great on the ridge, Sanssouci Park surrounding Sanssouci Palace in Potsdam, Germany


The enchanting palace of Sanssouci was developed in a vineyard. Frederick the Great supplied his architect Knobelsdorff with sketches which he had done himself. The work of art was finished in just two years (1745-1747). Over more than a hundred years, a park came into being with ever more new views and impressions.

Visit Potsdam and Germany now, on Landolia.
0 comment :: Add a comment

Dresden, the "Florence of the North"

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, August 07, 2007 at 15:32:24 :: Germany

Dresden, (etymologically from Old Sorbian Drežďany, meaning people of the riverside forest) is the capital city of the German Federal State of Saxony. It is situated in a valley on the River Elbe.

Dresden has a long history as the capital and royal residence for the Kings of Saxony, who for centuries furnished the city with cultural and artistic splendor.

"Florence of the North" is how Dresden has been called. A southern city in the North, a Baroque metropolis. The city experienced its golden age in the first half of the 18th century under the rule of Augustus the Strong, Elector of Saxony and King of Poland. The Zwinger, the cathedral, the Baroque Königstraße, Pillnitz Palace and not least the countless art treasures of the museums and priceless wealth of the "Green Vault" treasure chamber all testify to this era.

The Zwinger Palace in Dresden, Germany


In the 19th century painters, sculptors, authors and musicians - representatives of the early romantics - met here. Dresden was an innovative economic location and one of the richest cities in Germany. Today one can discover the largest villa quarter in the country. The district around Martin-Luther-Platz emerged at the turn of the century with an alternative city culture, with its own theatre, modern music and pubs. The picturesque and architecturally interesting Hellerau Garden City provides a worthwhile detour.

The controversial bombing of Dresden in World War II, plus 40 years in the Soviet bloc state of East Germany, changed the face of the city dramatically.

Sachsen Palace with a mural of the Sachsen Rulers, Mural of the Saxony Rulers, Dresden, Germany


Since German re-unification, Dresden has emerged as a cultural, political, and economic centre in the eastern part of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Visit Dresden and Germany, now, on Landolia.
0 comment :: Add a comment

In The News

Berlin, Germany

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, April 29, 2007 at 11:41:36

The Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor), located on the Pariser Platz, former city gate and the symbol of Berlin, GermanyLocated in central Europe, eastern Germany, about 70 kilometers (44 miles) west of the border with Poland, Berlin is the capital and the biggest city of Germany and one of the 16 states (Länder) of the Federal Republic of Germany. It has a population of about 3.5 million and covers 889 square kilometres (343 sq miles). The city center lies along the river Spree.

The Berlin Cathedral or Berliner Dom, built between 1895 and 1905, facing the Lustgarten and the Berliner Stadtschloss (Berlin City Palace) in Berlin, GermanyBerlin was the capital of Prussia until 1945 and the capital of Germany between 1871 and 1945 and again since the reunification of Germany on October 3, 1990. (The German parliament, called Bundestag, and the German government moved from Bonn to Berlin in 1999.) Between 1949 and 1990, it was divided into East Berlin, the capital of the German Democratic Republic, and West Berlin. It was divided by the Berlin Wall between August 13, 1961, and November 9, 1989.

The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe to the Jewish victims of the Holocaust; site (19,000 square meter) covered with 2,711 concrete slabs in Berlin, GermanyBerlin has a lot of theater houses, cinemas, museums (German Historical Museum), concerts and other cultural events happening at all time, also an amazing number of sights like the Alexanderplatz, the Alte Nationalgalerie, the Berlin Cathedral (Berliner Dom) built between 1895 and 1905 and facing the Lustgarten and the Berliner Stadtschloss (Berlin City Palace); the Berlin Victory Column (Siegessäule) Designed by Heinrich Strack after 1864 to commemorate the Prussian victory in the Danish-Prussian war; the Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor) the symbol of Berlin; the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas) or Holocaust Memorial (Holocaust-Mahnmal) memorial to the Jewish victims of the Holocaust, designed by architect Peter Eisenman and engineers Buro Happold.

UNESCO World Heritage

Germany, Slovakia, Ukraine, Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and the Ancient Beech Forests of Germany

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, February 21, 2014 at 04:12:54

Location Germany, Slovakia, Ukraine
Coordinates N49 5 10 E22 32 10
Property 33,670 ha
Date of Inscription 2007

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1133 )

The Ancient Beech Forests of Germany, represent examples of on-going post-glacial biological and ecological evolution of terrestrial ecosystems and are indispensable to understanding the spread of the beech (Fagus sylvatica) in the Northern Hemisphere across a variety of environments. The new inscription represents the addition of five forests totaling 4,391 hectares that are added to the 29,278 hectares of Slovakian and Ukranian beech forests inscribed on the World Heritage List in 2007. The tri-national property is now to be known as the Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and the Ancient Beech Forests of Germany (Slovakia, Ukraine, Germany).

Photos from Landolia

Stužica primeval beech forest in Slovakia Svydovets mountain range, Ukraine Chalk cliffs, Jasmund National Park, Germany
➜ Continue reading "Germany, Slovakia, Ukraine, Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and the Ancient Beech Forests of Germany"

Poland, Germany, Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 26, 2014 at 10:36:59

Location Germany, Poland
Coordinates N51 34 45.5 E14 43 35.2
Property 348 ha
Date of Inscription 2004

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1127 )

A landscaped park of 559.9 ha astride the Neisse River and the border between Poland and Germany, it was created by Prince Hermann von Puckler-Muskau from 1815 to 1844. Blending seamlessly with the surrounding farmed landscape, the park pioneered new approaches to landscape design and influenced the development of landscape architecture in Europe and America. Designed as a ‘painting with plants’, it did not seek to evoke classical landscapes, paradise, or some lost perfection, instead using local plants to enhance the inherent qualities of the existing landscape. This integrated landscape extends into the town of Muskau with green passages that formed urban parks framing areas for development. The town thus became a design component in a utopian landscape. The site also features a reconstructed castle, bridges and an arboretum.

Photos from Landolia

Muskau Castle, Muskau Park Englische Brücke, Muskau Park

More photos:


Germany, Netherlands, The Wadden Sea

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 06, 2014 at 04:20:15

Location Germany, Netherlands
Coordinates N53 31 43 E8 33 22
Property 982,004 ha
Date of Inscription 2009

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1314 )

The Wadden Sea comprises the Dutch Wadden Sea Conservation Area and the German Wadden Sea National Parks of Lower Saxony and Schleswig-Holstein. It is a large temperate, relatively flat coastal wetland environment, formed by the intricate interactions between physical and biological factors that have given rise to a multitude of transitional habitats with tidal channels, sandy shoals, sea-grass meadows, mussel beds, sandbars, mudflats, salt marshes, estuaries, beaches and dunes. The inscribed site represents over 66% of the whole Wadden Sea and is home to numerous plant and animal species, including marine mammals such as the harbour seal, grey seal and harbour porpoise. It is also a breeding and wintering area for up to 12 millions birds per annum and it supports more than 10 percent of 29 species. The site is one of the last remaining natural, large-scale, intertidal ecosystems where natural processes continue to function largely undisturbed.

Photos from Landolia

Wadden Sea, Blue mussels, Pacific oysters and cockles Mudflats, Wadden Sea

More photos:


Germany, United Kingdom, Frontiers of the Roman Empire

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 13, 2010 at 13:41:09

Location Germany, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Coordinates N54 59 33.4 W2 36 3.6
Property 527 ha
Date of Inscription 1987

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/430 )

The ‘Roman Limes’ represents the border line of the Roman Empire at its greatest extent in the 2nd century AD. It stretched over 5,000 km from the Atlantic coast of northern Britain, through Europe to the Black Sea, and from there to the Red Sea and across North Africa to the Atlantic coast. The remains of the Limes today consist of vestiges of built walls, ditches, forts, fortresses, watchtowers and civilian settlements. Certain elements of the line have been excavated, some reconstructed and a few destroyed. The two sections of the Limes in Germany cover a length of 550 km from the north-west of the country to the Danube in the south-east. The 118-km-long Hadrian's Wall (UK) was built on the orders of the Emperor Hadrian c. AD 122 at the northernmost limits of the Roman province of Britannia. It is a striking example of the organization of a military zone and illustrates the defensive techniques and geopolitical strategies of ancient Rome. The Antonine Wall, a 60-km long fortification in Scotland was started by Emperor Antonius Pius in 142 AD as a defense against the “barbarians” of the north. It constitutes the northwestern-most portion of the Roman Limes.

Photos from Landolia

Hadrian's Wall Hadrian's Wall, Walltown Quarry

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Germany, Roman Monuments, Cathedral of St Peter and Church of Our Lady in Trier

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, September 05, 2009 at 15:54:47

Location Trier, State of Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz), Germany
Coordinates N49 45 0 E6 37 60
Type Cultural
Date of Inscription 1986

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/367 )

Trier, which stands on the Moselle River, was a Roman colony from the 1st century AD and then a great trading centre beginning in the next century. It became one of the capitals of the Tetrarchy at the end of the 3rd century, when it was known as the ‘second Rome’. The number and quality of the surviving monuments are an outstanding testimony to Roman civilization.

Photos from Landolia

Porta Nigra

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Germany, Speyer Cathedral

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, August 31, 2009 at 16:54:17

Location Speyer, State of Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz), Germany
Coordinates N49 19 0 E8 26 35
Type Cultural
Date of Inscription 1981

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/168 )

Speyer Cathedral, a basilica with four towers and two domes, was founded by Conrad II in 1030 and remodelled at the end of the 11th century. It is one of the most important Romanesque monuments from the time of the Holy Roman Empire. The cathedral was the burial place of the German emperors for almost 300 years.

Photos from Landolia

Speyer Cathedral

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map



On the companion Blog to Landolia, choose your next destination, and prepare your trip. Do you have an interesting travel article? If so Contact us and share it.

Categories

Archives