Landolia, a World of Photos
Latest Photos of the World in RSS feed
Sign In

Poland

Pieskowa Skala castle, Poland

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, March 16, 2008 at 08:38:29 :: Poland

The Pieskowa Skala castle is one of the best preserved castles in the region surrounding Krakow. The castle was originally built in the late 14th century but was for the most part completely rebuilt in the 1580's.

Pieskowa Skała castle (Pieskowa Rock) near the village of Sułoszowa in the valley of river Prądnik, Poland


The castle's architecture and interiors are particularly noted for their mannerist gargoyles, the two-storey viewing loggia from the late sixteenth century, mid-seventeenth century chapel, late Gothic artillery tower and mid-seventeenth century ramparts, with their curtained entry gate.

Inside is a very good museum that features excellent examples of baroque and roccoco decorative artworks and furniture in each room, with a delightful exhibition of art and artefacts culled from the Royal Collection at Wawel.

The rooms follow chronological themes, ranging through Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque and Biedermeier.

Courtyard entrance of Pieskowa Skała castle, 14th century castle built by King Kazimierz Wielki in the valley of river Prądnik, Poland


The Pieskowa Skala castle is located in the lovely Ojcow Valley at the furthest north end of the valley itself. 30 km from Krakow and 70 km from the Upper Silesian Conurbation near the minor road No. 773, 10 km from the main road No. 4; on the hill rising above the picturesque valley of the River Prądnik and surrounded by the forests of the Ojców National Park, 8 km from the attractive village of Ojców (the villas and buildings of the old resort, ruins of a castle, Łokietek Cave and the Dark Cave); on the Route of Eagles' Nests connecting ruins of 7 castles situated on the hills of the Cracow and Częstochowa Upland.

The castle is an arresting, fairy tale concoction that was originally one of the 'Eagles Nests' that protected the region during the medieval era.

Visit Pieskowa Skala castle and Poland, now, on Landolia.
0 comment :: Add a comment

Warsaw - Poland

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, July 10, 2006 at 11:35:33 :: Poland

You think that Warsaw is a grey, sad and boring city? Think again!

Come on and discover the colorful old city of Warsaw (completely rebuild after World War II as it used to be ages ago) and the other parts of this modern city.

Old Town Square Market (Rynek Starego Miasta)


See you on Landolia!
0 comment :: Add a comment

UNESCO World Heritage

Poland, Ukraine, Wooden Tserkvas of the Carpathian Region in Poland and Ukraine

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 27, 2014 at 09:58:13

Location Poland, Ukraine
Coordinates N49 32 2 E21 1 56
Property 7.03 ha
Date of Inscription 2013

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1424 )

Situated in the eastern fringe of Central Europe, the transnational property numbers a selection of sixteen tserkvas (churches). They were built of horizontal wooden logs between the 16th and 19th centuries by communities of Orthodox and Greek Catholic faiths. The tserkvas bear testimony to a distinct building tradition rooted in Orthodox ecclesiastic design interwoven with elements of local tradition, and symbolic references to their communities’ cosmogony. The tserkvas are built on a tri-partite plan surmounted by open quadrilateral or octagonal domes and cupolas. Integral to tserkvas are iconostasis screens, interior polychrome decorations, and other historic furnishings. Important elements of some tserkvas include wooden bell towers, churchyards, gatehouses and graveyards.

The list:

Poland

Tserkva of St. Michael the Archangel, Brunary Tserkva of St. Michael the Archangel, Brunary

Ukraine

Descent of the Holy Spirit Church, Potelych Descent of the Holy Spirit Church, Potelych
➜ Continue reading "Poland, Ukraine, Wooden Tserkvas of the Carpathian Region in Poland and Ukraine"

Poland, Centennial Hall in Wroclaw

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 26, 2014 at 10:51:16

Location Wrocław, Silesia Region, Lower Silesian Voivodship, Poland
Coordinates N51 6 25.01 E17 4 37.25
Property 37 ha
Date of Inscription 2006

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1165 )

The Centennial Hall, a landmark in the history of reinforced concrete architecture, was erected in 1911-1913 by the architect Max Berg as a multi-purpose recreational building, situated in the Exhibition Grounds. In form it is a symmetrical quatrefoil with a vast circular central space that can seat some 6,000 persons. The 23m-high dome is topped with a lantern in steel and glass. The Centennial Hall is a pioneering work of modern engineering and architecture, which exhibits an important interchange of influences in the early 20th century, becoming a key reference in the later development of reinforced concrete structures.

Photos from Landolia

Centennial Hall Jahrhunderthalle, Centennial Hall

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Poland, Germany, Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 26, 2014 at 10:36:59

Location Germany, Poland
Coordinates N51 34 45.5 E14 43 35.2
Property 348 ha
Date of Inscription 2004

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1127 )

A landscaped park of 559.9 ha astride the Neisse River and the border between Poland and Germany, it was created by Prince Hermann von Puckler-Muskau from 1815 to 1844. Blending seamlessly with the surrounding farmed landscape, the park pioneered new approaches to landscape design and influenced the development of landscape architecture in Europe and America. Designed as a ‘painting with plants’, it did not seek to evoke classical landscapes, paradise, or some lost perfection, instead using local plants to enhance the inherent qualities of the existing landscape. This integrated landscape extends into the town of Muskau with green passages that formed urban parks framing areas for development. The town thus became a design component in a utopian landscape. The site also features a reconstructed castle, bridges and an arboretum.

Photos from Landolia

Muskau Castle, Muskau Park Englische Brücke, Muskau Park

More photos:


Poland, Wooden Churches of Southern Malopolska

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 24, 2014 at 05:06:18

Location Gorlice, Nowy Targ, and Bochnia counties, Voivodship of Lesser Poland (Malopolskie); Brzozów County, Subcarpathian (Podkarpackie) Voivodship, Poland
Coordinates N49 45 0 E21 13 60
Property 15 ha
Date of Inscription 2003

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1053 )

The wooden churches of southern Little Poland represent outstanding examples of the different aspects of medieval church-building traditions in Roman Catholic culture. Built using the horizontal log technique, common in eastern and northern Europe since the Middle Ages, these churches were sponsored by noble families and became status symbols. They offered an alternative to the stone structures erected in urban centres.

The list:

St. Michael the Archangel Church in Dębno St. Michael the Archangel Church, Debno
St. Leonard Church in Lipnica Dolna St. Leonard Church, Lipnica Dolna
➜ Continue reading "Poland, Wooden Churches of Southern Malopolska"

Poland, Kalwaria Zebrzydowska: the Mannerist Architectural and Park Landscape Complex and Pilgrimage Park

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 23, 2014 at 10:48:19

Location Lesser Poland (Malopolska) Voivodship (formerly Bielsko-Biala), Poland
Coordinates N49 52 0 E19 40 0
Property 380 ha
Date of Inscription 1999

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/905 )

Kalwaria Zebrzydowska is a breathtaking cultural landscape of great spiritual significance. Its natural setting – in which a series of symbolic places of worship relating to the Passion of Jesus Christ and the life of the Virgin Mary was laid out at the beginning of the 17th century – has remained virtually unchanged. It is still today a place of pilgrimage.

Photos from Landolia

Monastery in Kalwaria Zebrzydowska Church of Kalwaria Zebrzydowska

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Poland, Medieval Town of Torun

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 23, 2014 at 10:39:56

Location City and County of Toruń, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodship, Poland
Coordinates N53 0 36 E18 37 9.984
Property 48 ha
Date of Inscription 1997

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/835 )

Torun owes its origins to the Teutonic Order, which built a castle there in the mid-13th century as a base for the conquest and evangelization of Prussia. It soon developed a commercial role as part of the Hanseatic League. In the Old and New Town, the many imposing public and private buildings from the 14th and 15th centuries (among them the house of Copernicus) are striking evidence of Torun's importance.

Photos from Landolia

Church, Torun Toruń

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Poland, Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 23, 2014 at 10:25:36

Location City and County of Malbork, Pomeranian Voivodship (formerly Elblag Voivodship), Poland
Coordinates N54 2 30 E19 1 60
Property 18 ha
Date of Inscription 1997

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/847 )

This 13th-century fortified monastery belonging to the Teutonic Order was substantially enlarged and embellished after 1309, when the seat of the Grand Master moved here from Venice. A particularly fine example of a medieval brick castle, it later fell into decay, but was meticulously restored in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Many of the conservation techniques now accepted as standard were evolved here. Following severe damage in the Second World War it was once again restored, using the detailed documentation prepared by earlier conservators.

Photos from Landolia

Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork Courtyard, Malbork Castle

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Poland, Historic Centre of Warsaw

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 21, 2014 at 11:08:05

Location City and County of Warsaw, Masovian Voivodship, Poland
Coordinates N52 15 59.004 E21 0 42.012
Property 26 ha
Date of Inscription 1980

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/30 )

During the Warsaw Uprising in August 1944, more than 85% of Warsaw's historic centre was destroyed by Nazi troops. After the war, a five-year reconstruction campaign by its citizens resulted in today's meticulous restoration of the Old Town, with its churches, palaces and market-place. It is an outstanding example of a near-total reconstruction of a span of history covering the 13th to the 20th century.

Photos from Landolia

Market Place, Warsaw Old Town Royal Castle, Historic Centre of Warsaw

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Poland, Auschwitz Birkenau German Nazi Concentration and Extermination Camp (1940-1945)

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 21, 2014 at 10:45:46

Location Oswiecim County, Lesser Poland (Malopolska) Voivodship (formerly Bielsko-Biala), Poland
Coordinates N50 2 20 E19 10 30
Property 192 ha
Date of Inscription 1979

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/31 )

The fortified walls, barbed wire, platforms, barracks, gallows, gas chambers and cremation ovens show the conditions within which the Nazi genocide took place in the former concentration and extermination camp of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest in the Third Reich. According to historical investigations, 1.5 million people, among them a great number of Jews, were systematically starved, tortured and murdered in this camp, the symbol of humanity's cruelty to its fellow human beings in the 20th century.

Photos from Landolia

Auschwitz concentration camp

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Poland, Wieliczka and Bochnia Royal Salt Mines

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 21, 2014 at 10:23:15

Location Poland
Coordinates N49 58 45 E20 3 50
Property 1,105 ha
Date of Inscription 1978

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/32 )

The deposit of rock salt in Wieliczka and Bochnia has been mined since the 13th century. This major industrial undertaking has royal status and is the oldest of its type in Europe. The site is a serial property consisting of Wieliczka and Bochnia salt mines and Wieliczka Saltworks Castle. The Wieliczka and Bochnia Royal Salt Mines illustrate the historic stages of the development of mining techniques in Europe from the 13th to the 20th centuries: both mines have hundreds of kilometers of galleries with works of art, underground chapels and statues sculpted in the salt, making a fascinating pilgrimage into the past. The mines were administratively and technically run by Wieliczka Saltworks Castle, which dates from the medieval period and has been rebuilt several times in the course of its history.

Photos from Landolia

Wieliczka Salt Mine

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Poland, Historic Centre of Krakow

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 21, 2014 at 09:55:31

Location City and County of Cracow, Lesser Poland (Malopolska) Voivodship, Poland
Coordinates N50 4 0.012 E19 57 34.992
Property 150 ha
Date of Inscription 1978

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/29 )

The historic centre of Cracow, the former capital of Poland, is situated at the foot of the Royal Wawel Castle. The 13th-century merchants' town has Europe's largest market square and numerous historical houses, palaces and churches with their magnificent interiors. Further evidence of the town's fascinating history is provided by the remnants of the 14th-century fortifications and the medieval site of Kazimierz with its ancient synagogues in the southern part of town, Jagellonian University and the Gothic cathedral where the kings of Poland were buried.

Photos from Landolia

Sukiennice, Krakow Old Town Church of St Mary, Krakow

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Poland, Churches of Peace in Jawor and Swidnica

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, November 29, 2011 at 13:49:39

Location Jawor and Świdnica counties, Lower Silesian (Dolnoslaskie) Voivodship, Poland
Coordinates N51 3 15.4 E16 11 45.4
Property 0.23 ha
Date of Inscription 2001

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1054 )

The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Ś widnica, the largest timber-framed religious buildings in Europe, were built in the former Silesia in the mid-17th century, amid the religious strife that followed the Peace of Westphalia. Constrained by the physical and political conditions, the Churches of Peace bear testimony to the quest for religious freedom and are a rare expression of Lutheran ideology in an idiom generally associated with the Catholic Church.

Photos from Landolia

Kosciol Pokoju, Churches of Peace Friedenskirche, Churches of Peace

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Poland, Old City of Zamosc

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, July 08, 2011 at 06:46:48

Location City and County of Zamość, Lublin Voivodship (formerly Zamość Voivodship), Poland
Coordinates N50 43 0.012 E23 16 0.012
Property 75 ha
Date of Inscription 1992

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/564 )

Zamosc was founded in the 16th century by the chancellor Jan Zamoysky on the trade route linking western and northern Europe with the Black Sea. Modelled on Italian theories of the 'ideal city' and built by the architect Bernando Morando, a native of Padua, Zamosc is a perfect example of a late-16th-century Renaissance town. It has retained its original layout and fortifications and a large number of buildings that combine Italian and central European architectural traditions.

Photos from Landolia

Zamość City Hall Armenian houses, Great Market Square in Zamość

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map


Belarus, Poland, Belovezhskaya Pushcha / Bialowieza Forest

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, December 29, 2009 at 16:10:56

Location Grodno Province (oblast) (BY) / Podlasie Voivodship (PL), Belarus/Poland
Coordinates N52 30 0 E23 34 60
Type Natural
Property 92,669 ha
Date of Inscription 1979

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/33 )

Situated on the watershed of the Baltic Sea and the Black Sea, this immense forest range, consisting of evergreens and broad-leaved trees, is home to some remarkable animal life, including rare mammals such as the wolf, the lynx and the otter, as well as some 300 European Bison, a species which has been reintroduced into the park.

Photos from Landolia

Bialowieza Forest Bison, Bialowieza Forest

More photos and localization on interactive Google Map



On the companion Blog to Landolia, choose your next destination, and prepare your trip. Do you have an interesting travel article? If so Contact us and share it.

Categories

Archives