Landolia, a World of Photos
Latest Photos of the World in RSS feed
Sign In

Ukraine

Seven Wonders of Ukraine

 Posted by Germain Laroche
Germain Laroche
, December 15, 2013 at 05:18:48 :: Ukraine

The Seven Wonders of Ukraine are the seven historical and cultural monuments of Ukraine, which were chosen by experts and by internet users in the Seven Wonders of Ukraine contest held in July, 2007.

The Seven Wonders of Ukraine results are:

Kiev Pechersk LavraKiev Pechersk Lavra

Kiev Pechersk Lavra or Kiev Cave Monastery is a unique Orthodox Christian monastery complex and the largest monastery in Kiev, which is included in UNESCO world heritage list together with the Saint Sophia Cathedral. The Kiev Monastery of the Caves was originally founded in caves, looking over the Dnipro River, by two monks, namely St. Anthony of the Caves (Antoniy) and St. Theodosius of the Caves (Feodosiy), in 1051. The complex is made up from various fascinating buildings and sights such as the Great Lavra Belltower, the All Saints Church, the Gate Church of the Trinity and the Church of the Saviour at Berestov.

Sofiyivsky Park

Sofiyivsky Park is an arboretum located in the city of Uman and was founded in 1796 by the Polish noble Count Stanisław Szczęsny Potocki in remembrance of his lovely wife, Sofia Wett. By original idea of the architect, the park is built around themes from Homer’s Odyssey and Iliad. Sofiyivsky Park has a number of waterfalls, statues, fountains, grottos, ponds, a stone garden and narrow arching bridges crossing the streams and is a popular recreational spot, annually visited by approximately 500,000 visitors.

➜ Continue reading "Seven Wonders of Ukraine"
0 comment :: Add a comment

The abandoned city of Pripyat, Ukraine

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, September 18, 2013 at 12:32:05 :: Ukraine

Pripyat, UkraineLocated within the Chernobyl disaster zone, Pripyat (Ukrainian: При́п'ять) is an abandoned city in the Kiev Oblast (province) of Ukraine. The city, founded in 1970 to house workers from Chernobyl, had grown to a population of nearly 50,000 residents and then became ground zero for the worst nuclear disaster in history when an accident destroyed a plant reactor on April 26, 1986.

Pripyat is one of the best-known ghost town in the world. Radiation levels remain too high for permanent human habitation, though it is considered safe for tourists to visit.

➜ Continue reading "The abandoned city of Pripyat, Ukraine"
0 comment :: Add a comment

In The News

Kiev, Ukraine

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 14, 2009 at 14:29:25

Saint Sophia Cathedral, KievKiev, also known as Kyiv (Київ), capital and largest city of Ukraine (Україна), is a scenic city of close to 3 million people situated on the Dnieper River (Дніпро).

Ancient Kievan Rus (Kyivan Ruthenia, or Rus-Ukraine), which reached its greatest period of ascendancy during the 11th and 12th centuries, was a center of trade routes between the Baltic and the Mediterranean. In the middle of the 13th century Kievan Rus was overrun by the Mongols, and later this century Kiev became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (Велике князівство Литовське) - Eastern and Central European state from the 12th/13th century until the 18th century founded by Lithuanians - and later the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1654 Kiev was liberated from the commonwealth by Cossack Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky, who then promptly signed the city over to become a protectorate of Russia.

Saint Andrew's Church of Kiev, by the imperial Russian architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli, in KievIn 1775 it was completely annexed by the Russian Empire. The city remained under Russian rule, with brief, but uncertain, periods of independence in between 1918 and 1920. Kiev suffered severely during World War II, and many irreplaceable architectural and art treasures were destroyed. During these two centuries, Kiev experienced growing Russification and Russian immigration. The catastrophic accident at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant (Чорнобильська катастрофа) occurred only 100 km north of the city. However, the prevailing northward winds blew the most substantial radioactive debris away from the city.

In the wake of the collapse of the Soviet Union the Declaration of Independence of Ukraine (Акт проголошення незалежності України) was proclaimed in the city by the Ukrainian parliament (Verkhovna Rada - Верховна Рада України) on August 24, 1991. Kiev is the capital of independent Ukraine.

Kiev Pechersk Lavra or Kiev Monastery of the Caves, historic Orthodox Christian monastery in Kiev, UkraineKiev, located on both sides of the Dnieper River which flows south through the city towards the Black Sea, belongs to the Polesia ecological zone.

Tourism:
- Chernobyl Museum (музей Чорнобиль), metro Kontraktova Ploscha.
- The centre of Kiev (Independence Square, Maidan Nezalezhnosti - Майдан Незалежності and Khreschatyk Street - Хрещатик).
- Kiev Pechersk Lavra (Києво-Печерська лавра) or Kiev Monastery of the Caves, historic Orthodox Christian monastery in Kiev.
- Museum of Folk Architecture and Rural Life (Музей народної архітектури та побуту - Muzey narodnoyi arkhitetury ta pobutu).
- Saint Sophia Cathedral in Kiev (Собор Святої Софії, Sobor Sviatoyi Sofiyi or Софійський собор), oldest remaining church in Kiev and outstanding architectural monument of Kievan Rus'.
- Mother Motherland (Мати-Батьківщина), monumental statue of the "Mother Motherland", statue at the World War II memorial.
- Babi Yar, a ravine which was the site of massacres of Jews, Gypsies, and other civilians by the Nazis and their puppets during World War II.
- Golden Gate (Золоті ворота, Zoloti vorota), historic gateway in the ancient city walls of Kiev.
- Andriyivskyy Descent (Андріївський узвіз - Andrew's Descent), one of the best known historic streets and a major tourist attraction in Kiev.
- Mariyinsky Palace (Маріїнський палац), Baroque palace on the hilly bank of the Dnieper River.

UNESCO World Heritage

Ukraine, Ancient City of Tauric Chersonese and its Chora

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, February 21, 2014 at 05:10:03

Location Sevastopol, Ukraine
Coordinates N44 36 39 E33 29 29
Property 259 ha
Date of Inscription 2013

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1411 )

The site features the remains of a city founded by Dorian Greeks in the 5th century BC on the northern shores of the Black Sea. It encompasses six component sites with urban remains and agricultural lands divided into several hundreds of chora, rectangular plots of equal size. The plots supported vineyards whose production was exported by the city which thrived until the 15th century. The site features several public building complexes and residential neighbourhoods, as well as early Christian monuments alongside remains from Stone and Bronze Age settlements; Roman and medieval tower fortifications and water supply systems; and exceptionally well-preserved examples of vineyard planting and dividing walls. In the 3rd century AD, the site was known as the most productive wine centre of the Black Sea and remained a hub of exchange between the Greek, Roman and Byzantine Empires and populations north of the Black Sea. It is an outstanding example of democratic land organization linked to an ancient polis, reflecting the city’s social organization.

Photos from Landolia

Ruins of Chersonesus Chersonesus Cathedral

More photos of the Ancient City of Tauric Chersonese and its Chora


Ukraine, Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, February 21, 2014 at 04:57:22

Location Chernivtsi, Ukraine
Coordinates N48 17 48 E25 55 29
Property 8.00 ha
Date of Inscription 2011

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1330 )

The Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans represents a masterful synergy of architectural styles built by Czech architect Josef Hlavka from 1864 to 1882. The property, an outstanding example of 19th-century historicist architecture, also includes a seminary and monastery and is dominated by the domed, cruciform Seminary Church with a garden and park. The complex expresses architectural and cultural influences from the Byzantine period onward and embodies the powerful presence of the Orthodox Church during Habsburg rule, reflecting the Austro-Hungarian Empire policy of religious tolerance.

Photos from Landolia

Chernivtsi University Monastery wing, Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans

More photos of the Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans


Germany, Slovakia, Ukraine, Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and the Ancient Beech Forests of Germany

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, February 21, 2014 at 04:12:54

Location Germany, Slovakia, Ukraine
Coordinates N49 5 10 E22 32 10
Property 33,670 ha
Date of Inscription 2007

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1133 )

The Ancient Beech Forests of Germany, represent examples of on-going post-glacial biological and ecological evolution of terrestrial ecosystems and are indispensable to understanding the spread of the beech (Fagus sylvatica) in the Northern Hemisphere across a variety of environments. The new inscription represents the addition of five forests totaling 4,391 hectares that are added to the 29,278 hectares of Slovakian and Ukranian beech forests inscribed on the World Heritage List in 2007. The tri-national property is now to be known as the Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and the Ancient Beech Forests of Germany (Slovakia, Ukraine, Germany).

Photos from Landolia

Stužica primeval beech forest in Slovakia Svydovets mountain range, Ukraine Chalk cliffs, Jasmund National Park, Germany
➜ Continue reading "Germany, Slovakia, Ukraine, Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and the Ancient Beech Forests of Germany"

Ukraine, L'viv - the Ensemble of the Historic Centre

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, February 20, 2014 at 03:53:18

Location Halychyna, L’viv Oblast', Ukraine
Coordinates N49 50 29.868 E24 1 55.128
Property 120 ha
Date of Inscription 1998

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/865 )

The city of L''viv, founded in the late Middle Ages, was a flourishing administrative, religious and commercial centre for several centuries. The medieval urban topography has been preserved virtually intact (in particular, there is evidence of the different ethnic communities who lived there), along with many fine Baroque and later buildings.

Photos from Landolia

Dormition Church, Lviv St. George's Cathedral, Lviv

More photos of L'viv - the Ensemble of the Historic Centre


Poland, Ukraine, Wooden Tserkvas of the Carpathian Region in Poland and Ukraine

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, January 27, 2014 at 09:58:13

Location Poland, Ukraine
Coordinates N49 32 2 E21 1 56
Property 7.03 ha
Date of Inscription 2013

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1424 )

Situated in the eastern fringe of Central Europe, the transnational property numbers a selection of sixteen tserkvas (churches). They were built of horizontal wooden logs between the 16th and 19th centuries by communities of Orthodox and Greek Catholic faiths. The tserkvas bear testimony to a distinct building tradition rooted in Orthodox ecclesiastic design interwoven with elements of local tradition, and symbolic references to their communities’ cosmogony. The tserkvas are built on a tri-partite plan surmounted by open quadrilateral or octagonal domes and cupolas. Integral to tserkvas are iconostasis screens, interior polychrome decorations, and other historic furnishings. Important elements of some tserkvas include wooden bell towers, churchyards, gatehouses and graveyards.

The list:

Poland

Tserkva of St. Michael the Archangel, Brunary Tserkva of St. Michael the Archangel, Brunary

Ukraine

Descent of the Holy Spirit Church, Potelych Descent of the Holy Spirit Church, Potelych
➜ Continue reading "Poland, Ukraine, Wooden Tserkvas of the Carpathian Region in Poland and Ukraine"

Ukraine, Kiev: Saint-Sophia Cathedral and Related Monastic Buildings, Kiev-Pechersk Lavra

 Posted by Simon Laroche
Simon Laroche
, June 05, 2009 at 15:45:21

Location Kiev, Ukraine
Coordinates N50 27 9.288 E30 31 0.696
Type Cultural
Property 28.52 ha
Date of Inscription 1990

Brief Description (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/527 )

Designed to rival Hagia Sophia in Constantinople, Kiev's Saint-Sophia Cathedral symbolizes the 'new Constantinople', capital of the Christian principality of Kiev, which was created in the 11th century in a region evangelized after the baptism of St Vladimir in 988. The spiritual and intellectual influence of Kiev-Pechersk Lavra contributed to the spread of Orthodox thought and the Orthodox faith in the Russian world from the 17th to the 19th century.

Photos from Landolia

Kiev Pechersk Lavra Saint Sophia Cathedral

More photos:



On the companion Blog to Landolia, choose your next destination, and prepare your trip. Do you have an interesting travel article? If so Contact us and share it.

Categories

Archives