Temple d'Artémis à Éphèse, Artemision

The Temple of Artemis (Greek: Ἀρτεμίσιον) stands at the beginning of the Selçuk-Kuşadası road going to Kuşadası on the right-hand side. We learn from historians that the temple of Artemis was built in the 7th century BC and destroyed seven times. In the excavations that have been going on for more than a hundred years only four stages of the temple were encountered. The temple which was dedicated to Artemis of Ephesus is considered to have been one of the seven wonders of the world. In the 6th century BC, Chersiphon of Cnossus, a renowned architect, and his son Metagenes, constructed a new temple on the site of the previous one, with a length of 115 meters and a width of 55 meters. This is the largest temple that was ever made of marble up to our day. This temple was burnt down in 356 BC by a lunatic by the name of Herostratos.

sim100
sim100
Membre depuis le 25 Janvier 2007
sim100" photostream (822)

1594 Vues
Licence

Tous droits réservés